The SLHS initially provides twenty PhD scholarships (for the period 2017-20), which are funded by the partner institutions and matched funding provided by swissuniversities. To capitalize and synergize on the existing structures, funds and expertise of the Swiss School of Public Health (SSPH+) in the domain of PhD training, the scholarship program has been set up as a jointly led activity. There is broad range of structured and high-quality programs offered within the network of the SSPH+. Students enrolled in the joint SLHS-SSPH+ PhD Scholarship Program can take full advantage of the existing structures in PhD education provided by the SSPH+.
The objectives of the SLHS-SSPH+ PhD Scholarship Program are:
- to train a new generation of creative and innovative early-stage researchers, who are able to face current and future challenges in the health sector and to convert knowledge and ideas into products and services for strengthening health systems;
- to raise excellence and structure research and doctoral training by complementing existing training settings with learning health system relevant knowledge and skills;
- to provide enhanced career perspectives in both the academic and non-academic sectors for early-stage researchers through an interdisciplinary and high-quality training program that fosters an innovation-oriented mindset.
SSPH+ Inter-university Graduate Campus
Since 1 June 2019, PhD students have the opportunity to enroll in the SSPH+ Inter-university Graduate Campus to benefit from its offers to strengthen their academic skills, competencies, career paths and networks. The Inter-university Graduate Campus provides a promising base from which to strengthen public health by assembling over 150 professors in public health sciences all across Switzerland.
The SSPH+ Inter-university Graduate Campus offers:
- State-of-the art training in methods and topical public health issues
- Broad access to the inter-university multidisciplinary SSPH+ research and teaching faculty
- Study recommendations for what constitutes a high quality PhD track in public health sciences
- SSPH+ Certificate in Public Health
- Unique networking opportunities with other PhD students and SSPH+ junior and senior scientists all across Switzerland
- Cost-free access to PhD courses of the Inter-university Graduate Campus (apart from a processing fee of 30 CHF per course): actual course program
- Reduced fees for courses offered by the seasonal SSPH+ schools (e.g. Winter School in Wengen, Spring School in Geneva, and Summer School in Lugano) and by other partners
- No additional requirements in terms of ECTS, publications etc. apart from the ones of your home university
To be eligible for enrollment the following criteria must be met:
- Your primary supervisor (committee head) must be an SSPH+ Faculty member
- You must be formally registered and approved as a PhD student in one of the SSPH+ Foundation partner universities such as the University of Lucerne
PhD students who meet these conditions are welcome to apply for the SSPH+ Inter-university Graduate Campus: Application